Women of the Dream’s Mentor Program targets middle and high school girls in Camden, New Jersey. Responsible and caring adults provide group mentoring sessions at the school sites focusing on socially and culturally relevant topics. All mentors must undergo a background check and training in the use of our curriculum.
To get started, please complete the Online Form. Answers to the questions determine the next steps.
For more information about becoming a mentor, please contact Leslie Morris at email@example.com.
Benefits of Mentoring
Support for education
- Mentors help keep students in school.
- Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip class.
- Mentors help with homework and can improve their mentees academic skills.
Support with day-to-day living
- Mentors help improve a young person’s self-esteem.
- Youth who meet regularly with their mentors are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking.
- About 40% of a teenager’s waking hours are spent without companionship or supervision. Mentors provide teens with a valuable place to spent time.
- Mentors teach young people how to relate well to all kinds of people and help them strengthen communication skills.
- Mentors provide exposure to new and different environments and lifestyles.
Support in the workplace
- Mentors can use their personal contacts to help young people meet industry professionals, find internships and locate job possibilities.
- Mentors introduce young people to professional resources and organizations they may not know.
- Mentors can help their mentees learn how to seek and keep jobs.
- Mentors help young people set career goals and start taking steps to realize them.